Warming Chinese Veggie & Noodles Soup
This Chinese Veggie Soup offers a perfect lunch or dinner alternative if you need a quick pick-me-up meal when running low on energy or fridge supplies! It's so easy and flexible... It allows you to add the bare minimum of ingredients while still tasting delicious and its spices offering heat and comfort during the cold winter days. It's one of our family's favourites, although I'm usually turning the spices down for our little daughter.
1 red onion (peeled & quartered)
1 cm ginger (chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (sliced)
2 carrots (sliced)
Handful of broccoli florets
4 small cup mushrooms (quartered)
4 baby corns (sliced)
Handful of broad beans or peas
1 veggie stock cube
1/2 tsp turmeric
Pinch of chilli powder
2 portions of egg noodles
Chopped coriander to garnish
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Lime (a squeeze)
1. Heat up the oil in the large pot together with turmeric, ginger, chilli and garlic (be careful not to brown the garlic).
2. Add all the vegetables in the pot and mix well with the spices. Add about 1 litre of water and the veggie stock cube straight in the pot.
3. Boil for about 10 minutes or until all veggies are tender. Add some fresh pepper and a few drops of fish sauce and lime juice to taste.
4. Add the egg noodles in with the soup and cook for the required time (approximately 3 minutes).
5. Garnish with the chopped coriander and serve immediately.