Quinoa & Sun Blushed Tomatoes Burgers
I have to confess I have been fascinated by quinoa lately and try to include it in just about anything these days - savoury or sweet. I love its consistency and versatility as well as its light substance that manages to fill you up for the day. Adding some amazing spices such as anti-inflammatory turmeric to add a yellow 'sunshine' colour and spicy chili powder to boost your immunity is a great start to bring warmth and earthiness into your meal on a cold winter day. A variation of any cold & warm salad to accompany these burgers make it a perfect lunch or dinner.
1/2 cup white quinoa
1/2 lemon zest & juice
1/4 tsp mild chili powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 cup oats
1 tsp poppy seeds
Handful coriander, chopped
Handful of sun-blushed tomatoes, chopped
1/2 feta cheese, crumbled
Bunch of asparagus
12 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
2 clove garlic, crushed
Sweet gem lettuce, chopped
1. Put quinoa with lemon zest & juice into a pot and boil for about 15 minutes. Then allow to cool down.
2. Mix the boiled quinoa with oats, all the spices, poppy seeds and eggs together. Add coriander, sun-blushed tomatoes and feta cheese into the mixture.
3. Create evenly sized burgers with a spoon. Heat up some olive oil in a pan and fry the burgers for about 3 minutes on both sides until golden brown.
4. For the warm salad, just drizzle some olive oil over the asparagus adding a bit of salt and pepper and grill for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the crushed garlic in with the mushrooms and saute for 3-4 minutes on a bit of olive oil.
6. Serve your burgers with warm veggies, together with chopped lettuce and sliced beetroot or any other vegetables of your choice.